Common Grounds | Coffee + Connecting + Evansville Storytelling
January 1, 2018 - July 31, 2018
Common Grounds is a weekly event focused on bringing innovative people together for a superb cup of local coffee and a 5 minute story about some of the great innovation, entrepreneurship or impressive, unusual and exciting things happening in our community.
Our goal is for you to leave Common Grounds excited about the interesting people you just met and anxious to repeat the story you just heard. All are welcome! Join us for the entire event or come and go as you please. Also, if you have in interesting story to tell - we'd love to hear it. Contact us.
9/12: Curvo Labs - Evansville Startup moves to scale-up and is lookin' good! 9/19: Purdue@WestGate: Like a D Day landing Purdue is bringing tons of resources to the WestGate Certified Technology Park at Crane NSA 9/26: Indiana Small Business Development Center. Super High Quality business consulting services available to small businesses for FREE 10/3: Evansville Coffee Co. Tim Piazza, graphic artist, musician, instrument maker, web developer, app developer and Renaissance Guy tells the story of why he has founded Evansville Coffee Co. and where he plans to take it 10/10: Meet TED! Trolley of Evansville Districts (TED), will bring a much-needed piece of connectivity to support the vibrant and growing districts of Evansville. [ SUPPORT TED HERE ] 10/17: USI's Eagle Innovation Accelerator for Innovation-based Startups (Presenter: Josh McWilliams) 10/24: Elevate Ventures is bringing exciting programs AND capital to help launch more innovation-based startups in our part of the State (Presenter: Eric Steele) 10/31: Changemaker Challenge: Motivating young residents to take a leading role in identifying and solving challenges in the world around us 11/7 – Grow Local Fund: Seed funding for Evansville Startups with support of the The Vectren Foundation 11/14 – New Tech Institute (NTI) HIgh School 11/21: Purdue Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Presenter: Joe Devoy 11/28: The University of Southern Indiana's User Perception, Cognition & Interaction Lab 12/5: Quarion Technologies is bringing GPS functionality indoors (Presenter: Aric Pryor) 12/12: Flanders; a global company setting world records with motors they design and manufacture -- a leader in IoT and autonomous equip 12/19 – NO COMMON GROUNDS 12/26 – NO COMMON GROUNDS
- ____HAPPY NEW YEAR!!____
1/2/18 – NO COMMON GROUNDS 1/9/18 – Evansville Podcast! Jason Burton was interested in trying his hand podcasting. In 2012 he started attending Tech-on-Tap events. Surprised by the talented people he met and stories he heard, Burton realized he had the material for his podcast. 1/16/18 – Telescope Data Sciences (Jim Spath): Jim and Janis Spath arrived in Evansville from the Bay area in 2017. Both have long careers in data sciences. Jim is working with Tech-on-Tap to launch a series of 2018 events focusing on Data Analytics and Machine Learning for both experts and the curious. 1/23 – Trailing Spouse to Evansville (Al Huang, PhD): Al Huang is a trailing spouse, following his wife from Seattle to her position with St. Vincent's hospital in Evansville. Al's academic focus was molecular genetics, virology and machine learning. Learn the story of how networking unlocked a most unlikely opportunity for Al in his new hometown. 1/30 – ACE3 (Yasser Alhenawi, PhD / Jeff Bone, Old National Bank): The mission of ACE3 is to support the launch and growth of minority and women-owned business enterprises in the Evansville area while developing UE students through a real-world application of the concepts and skills taught in UE’s Schroeder School of Business. The program uses three components: MicroLoans, Executive Mentors and UE Coursework.
- 2/6 –The City of Evansville Revolving Loan Fund is available within the City Limits of Evansville, Indiana. Preference will be given to commercial loans that assist redevelopment of struggling commercial corridors in the community such as Downtown, Jacobsville, and/or Art’s District. Loan amounts can be up to $250,000.00.
- 2/13 – Heliponix™ provides consumers with the Gropod, an aeroponic appliance the size of a dishwasher that uses machine learning to grow a head of leafy greens on a daily basis with 95% less water and no pesticides. Presenter: Scott Massey co-founder, Heliponix™
- 2/20 – Youth First: As a practicing physician, Bill Wooten saw the ravages of substance abuse. Each life of addiction costs communities millions of dollars. Unfortunately, no evidence-based prevention programs were available in Evansville. In true entrepreneurial fashion, Bill set out to solve the problem and thus was born Youth First.
- 2/27 – Will Hawkins PhD: Dr Hawkins recently joined the USI faculty as Assistant Professor, Kinesiology and Sport - Exercise Science. His research line has centered on exploring the effects of physical therapy techniques on growth and repair mechanisms in human skeletal muscle. Dr Hawkins will speak about his passion and efforts mentoring and cultivating ambition in young adults.
- 3/6 – Mark Singer DAATN: Mark by day is an IT guy with Old National Bank. In off hours he brings together technology worker colleagues to apply adaptive technologies to improve the lives of disabled members of our community.
7:30 a.m. - Door Open, get your cup of Evansville Coffee Company coffee
8:00 a.m. - 5 minute or less story highlighting something innovative, entrepreneurial or simply positive happening in our community.
8:30 a.m. - Party's over - but we won't kick you out.
- You are welcome to come and go at any time -
Great Coffee, Great People and Great Stories about Evansville Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
RSVP WITH EVANSVILLE TECH ON TAP | SEE YOU THERE!
- 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
- Arts Council Gallery @ Innovation Pointe
- 318 Main St, Evansville, IN